Sunday, December 24

Merry Christmas Eve


So we have had a fun time over the last couple days and I can successfully finished all the Christmas presents as of now. Now we have 30 min until we need to leave for the Christmas Eve service. We got in on Friday and ate dinner and hung out. It was fun and relaxing and nice to finally be somewhere on our way towards Christmas.

Saturday was great as well! We got up earlier than I wanted to but I guess it was ok. We ate breakfast and then soon after heard the door open to admit Aaron Sarah and Jeremiah. Jeremiah came upstairs and had a fun time with "Momika" and "Bleb bleb". We watered plants over and over and over again until I got his attention on the dog instead of the plants. Then we went outside and played a bit with Oscar which is always interesting. That dog just wants attention and unlike all the other dogs in Jeremiah's life, it is not trained to not jump up on Jeremiah. So while he really likes the dog, he isn't always sure of him and tends to say "down" alot to him :) It's cute. Well we played with Oscar, walked around the yard and walked on the balance beam (really just wooden beams in the back yard) over and over again. Then we walked to the front of the house and swang for a while. Then it was lunch time of course.

We ate out on the back porch which was sooo nice and warm! Sarah had made some egg salad and I ate some pears.

After that we played some more and put Jeremiah down for a nap (well Aaron did). I was working on the Christmas presents and then we decided it was about time to do the gingerbread house...that was quite fun except I think I put a little too much water in the icing so it's taking some time for the snow piles to dry. I made some gingerbread cookies and just as we were finishing up Cherise got here! While most everyone watched the office and I worked on Christmas gifts Cherise and Mom Rapier made yummy peanut butter balls covered in chocolate among other yummy food. Then it was time to go to dinner. Jeremiah stayed with his grandparents and we met Chad at Chili's for dinner. That was so much fun and thanks to Aaron for the idea, we need to do that more!! After that we walked to Rembrants and enjoyed some yummy and hot coffee (well at least mine was) and then walked back as Chad had to be at work (we are quite proud of him, he is a police man and seems to be enjoying his work!) The other four of us went back to the house and played up and down the river, a card game that stretched my mind but I really enjoyed. Then it was bed time....

Today has been quiet, we went to church and then over to granny's for lunch. Uncle Ricky was there with three of his kids and a couple grand kids...granny had made ham, stuffing, broccoli casserole, bread, pinto beans, creamed corn, sweet potatoes, mac and cheese, and cole slaw.

After lunch, presents and just hanging out we came home and took a short nap (well it was more like drifting in and out while sorta watching the Garfield movie...) then I finally finished the gifts and am writing this....

Now on to my confession...I'm having a hard time realizing today is Christmas Eve, maybe it's not being home or the lack of a Christmas sermon and Christmas hymns at church, a lack of focus right now on Christmas and just a general busyness that was my own fault this time (well some my fault and some the fault that I didn't get enough hours at internship). I'm feeling frustrated at myself for not have made time to really focus on him. I expected to be back at the house earlier today and have time to spend reading my Bible this afternoon but with the TV on it's hard to concentrating. I think tonight when we get home I'm just going to spend most of the night working on my attitude and focus. I'm starting to really think Christmas day should be about Christ and New Years eve about the presents. How is it that we can spend a whole month preparing for one day and even if we have the intention to focus on Christ it hardly happens. and it's not that I haven't done devotions but they have been a guide that I'm reading and all in Gen. I love buying presents for others but I need to not have to have two big things on one day. My solution doesn't lie in buying less b/c I love buying for people and I love giving out the calendars for the family (that would not work just to make one :p ) but really it just lies in the fact that I am not focused enough to prepare for two events in one day....Maybe starting earlier on gifts next year and not being in school will help but I think if I feel this way next year, I'm going to suggest a later date (b/c earlier would still waste some of the month) to open presents.....

Anyways, I pray God's blessing on you all and that he will touch your hearts and allow you to focus on the real meaning of Christmas!!

2 comments:

Sarah R. said...

We had so much fun hanging out with you guys this weekend. I don't think that any of us got as much sleep as we wanted! :-)
I have found one thing that helps me focus on Jesus for Christmas is to do advent readings every day. I think next year Jeremiah may be old enough to participate in that abit.
And you know my thoughts about gift-giving and when etc. :-)
Anyway, I hope that you enjoy your time with your family!

Unknown said...

I've done the advent readings for years and they help me keep my focus. I think we try to do to many 'things' during the holidays. Perhaps we need to plan which ones are most important to us and spend more time relaxing and enjoying the joy of the birth of Jesus. Next year we could do our family gift exchange the Saturday after Christmas.
love you, mom