Wednesday, April 9

More devotions thinking

So I am really behind in reading my devotions mainly b/c I have been trying to keep up with my discipleship curriculum. So I was "skimming" a couple lessons in Tabletalk (this year they are going through Matthew but once a month they divert onto a topic and if I'm behind I skim those to just see what they are talking about before they get back to Matthew...bad habit but otherwise I will never catch up). Anyways this one from two weeks ago was talking about Secular Humanism. Here is some of what it was talking about (March 26)

"The consequence of all this was the "Social Gospel," which emphasized feeding the hungry and other works of charity without telling people of their need to salvation from sin. This incomplete Gospel is directly linked to the decline of the so-called "mainline denominations." if we do not need to be saved from sin, there is no reason for us to sit under a preacher and hear platitudes about giving to the poor. Such good works can be done w/o the trappings of religion...Without an objective, transcendent norm all we have are individual preferences to guide us. We must then ask, whose preferences will guide us? More often than not this has led to some form of statism wherein the preferences of the few are made into laws for the many."

I was thinking about this statement and yes I know you can really delve into some good discussions and debates about doctrine but I think what I just wanted to say was that I am glad for God's word and his rules. Without them I think life is so confusing and complicated. It is that way I guess in a way but you also know that in the midst of it all God is still in control. Without God's word to guide us those anything basically goes. I think this is a good example of what I am trying to say. Here at work we have a standard for how things have to be done, entered and how the clients are treated. However, it seems every couple weeks something changes. This week we enter data this way but next week it is this way and then the next might be a totally different way. Thankfully it is not complicated to keep changing the way we do things, esp b/c I am still so new so of it is still not habit. However in life how tiring is it to constantly have to change how we live a "good life". This week you have to give your time to be considered good, next week it is money, the following it is something else. How tiring and complicated is it when you constantly have to figure out a way to "make up" for the sin in your life. I am so very grateful for Christ's work on the cross and that there is nothing I can even do to earn it. I am grateful that his word never changes and I don't have to rely on my indecisiveness or someone else's to determine how my life should look.

No comments: